Set Realistic Goals to Upgrade Your Golf Game 

Want to take your game to the next level? Then set goals for improving your golf skills. Few people would dispute the benefits of setting goals. They guide our actions, focus our energy. provide a path for us to follow, and establish a clear and concise vision of what we want to achieve. Put another way, they motivate and drive us.

Setting goals for the season is a good activity to practice. Why—because it can help you improve. Many professional golfers set goals at the beginning of the golf season and work toward achieving them throughout the year. It gives them something to aim for in addition to trying to win Tour championships.

Write Down Golf Goals Works

So, sit down when you have time and set some goals for improving your game. Your golf goals can be long-term, medium-term, or short-term. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that they’re your goals and your goals alone. The key is to set realistic, meaningful goals that are challenging and attainable.

Once you’ve set your goals, write them down and post them somewhere you can see them.
A Harvard University Study showed that 3% of the school’s 1953 graduating class wrote their goals down were worth more financially in 1973 than the other 97 percent of their classmates that didn’t write their goals down.

Below are some tips on setting goals for improving your golf game:

1.    Set specific goals — Setting vague benchmarks, like I want to be a better putter, doesn’t cut it. You can’t “see it,” so you won’t achieve it. Instead, set specific goals, like I want to boost my GIR percentage or my percentage of sand saves. Then, work toward achieving those goals. Three or four major goals for the season are fine.

2.    Set quantifiable goals — Choosing goals that include hard-to-track performance variables, like “putting better” won’t do much for you. They’re too vague. Instead, limit goals to those you can quantify or measure, like lowering your putts per round. Then practice drills designed to help you achieve these goals.

3.    Choose challenging but attainable goals — Sometimes when golfers set goals for the first time they make them hard to achieve. These types of goals can cause you to lose motivation because they’re impossible to reach. You need to set goals that are challenging but achievable, like improving your sand-save percentage by 10 percent.

4.    Create a timetable — Don’t make your goal open-ended without a deadline, such as “I want to learn to hit a draw, eventually.” Those types of goals are easy to put off. Instead, create a timetable with a date by which you’ll achieve the goal, regardless of what it takes. A good example is: “I want to lower my golf handicap by a stroke by September 1.”

5.    Focus on small goals — Goals tend to work best when they’re small. Focusing on small goals trumps concentrating on big goals. Small goals, such as beating your friends in chipping games, lay the foundation for bigger ones. Before you know it, you’ve achieved the bigger goals. Plus, striving for small goals drives you nail down the big ones.

6.    Make goals adjustable — Sometimes when we start out, we make goals too easy to attain. Making goals easy to reach is as bad as making them too hard. Making goals adjustable allows you to increase the intensity of the goals. That, in turn, challenges you. Also, try to make your practice sessions fun. That keeps you coming back to practice again and again.

Following the six golf tips above when setting goals can help you set realistic, meaningful goals you can achieve. They create a plan to achieve them.

Working with a Coach Helps

Working with a coach or local golf pro can help you plan how to achieve your goals. That shifts intention into results. Coaches can also help monitor performance, motivate you during slumps and injuries, and improve the quality of your practices.

So, if you’re struggling to improve your golf game, try setting goals for the year and then work toward achieving them. Setting goals could be just the thing you need to help you break 80 and cut your golf handicap down to size.

How to Break 80 ® Presents FREE TRIAL

Trulli

Author: Jack

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This